Sunday, June 22, 2008

Willowbank Wildlife Preserve

I spent the afternoon at the Willowbank Wildlife Preserve. It is similar to a zoo...but is NOTHING like the zoos we have in Atlanta. It is completely outdoors, and you walk though these amazing natural settings. And everything is hands-on! I fed birds, lamas, pigs, sheep, clydesdale horses, ferrets, eels, and wallabies and I danced with an ostrich, chased a peacock, and was followed by a rooster for a while! The animals just walk right up to you! 

These two were my favorite. They are just like kangaroos-but mini sized. I picked leaves from the tops of the trees that they couldn't reach to feed them. They practically jumped into my lap!

It feels like you are walking through a forest...it is very neat.


I should probably stop posing for the picture and watch what I am doing. The eel had jumped out of the water to get the food I was offering it in my hand. They do bite if you're not careful-but I was lucky! No teeth this time!

Outside the cave.

This is a Kainga, which stands for an unfortified village (in Maori). I crept on my hands and knees into the houses to see what a Maori village might look like.

These were some of the ugliest pigs I have ever seen, but they sure liked the attention and food! They are called Kunekune Pigs. 

No comments: