Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 5: West Coast Trip: Arrowtown & Queenstown

This is the first time Mallary and went into Queenstown during the day. Since it was another spectacular day, we decided to go up the gondola to get a bird's eye view of the city.  We enjoyed a muffin for morning tea and looked out over the wharf and Lake Wakatipu. Absolutely beautiful! We tried the luge down-which turned out to be a lot more fun than we had anticipated. After we came down from the gondola, we went to Kawarau Bridge-the original first site of Bungy Jumping! I was so excited and had been looking forward to this for the whole trip! Imagine my disappointment when I arrived and the lady at the desk told me that they were already booked for the day! A handful of people told me not to worry about booking but to just show up, and I took the wrong advice. I begged but there was nothing I could do. I guess everything happens for a reason, and I saved myself $150. AH! How frustrating! At least my mom can rest in peace. 

Arrowtown is where we stayed for two nights while in the Queenstown area. Arrowtown is nestled in a basin, surrounded by mountains. It is a very "posh" town with many shops.  It got its start when gold was found and became a miner's dream destination. 

Looking out onto Lake Wakatipu and Queenstown from the Gondola.

Sitting in the gondola.

Ready to experience the LUGE! 

We stopped on the side of the track for a great photo opportunity, and some poor young girl plowed straight into us and started crying. Her dad had to come down and ride the rest of the way to the bottom with her. We felt so bad, but in our defense, we had pulled really far off to the side. 

Right before I found out the terrible news! 

No comments: