Monday, July 28, 2008

Fiji: Day 6: Under the Sea...Scuba Dive

We woke up today and decided to go scuba diving. Our instructor took us from the Wanna Taki cruise boat to Manta Ray Island.  We fitted ourselves with weights, wet suits, masks, flippers, and oxygen tanks. At first, I was very uneasy in the water. I didn't breath at a rate that I was accustomed to, and I didn't think I would enjoy going under. Evan soon calmed my nerves and we dove around 8 to 10 meters (between 25 and 30 feet). It was amazing! The coral was beautiful, I saw plenty of reef fish circling around, and I think I saw the faint outline of what looked like a dolphin or a shark-whatever it was, it was bigger than I am and out in the open water in the distance. I held a starfish and did underwater flips. It was quite an experience. We were underwater for about a total of 40 to 45 minutes. It is amazing that the oxygen tank weighs so much out of the water but you feel weightless in the water!

On the boat to Manta Ray Island.

Evan is up to his old tricks again. We are gearing up to go out to the ocean.

These tanks were HEAVY!

Manta Ray beach in the background.

Secrets, secrets...

After the dive, we returned to the Wanna Taki cruise for lunch and more fishing, snorkeling, and beach time. We got on the Yasawa Flyer, which took us to our last night's stay at South Sea Island. We made it just in time to see the sunset. South Sea Island is quite small. I timed myself walking (at a leisurely pace) along the shore around the whole island, and it only took me 8 minute and 45 seconds. Very quaint!

Lounging around on the beach. 

Sunset view from South Sea.

No comments: