Friday, July 25, 2008

Fiji: Day 7: Ahoy Sailor!

On our last day we left from South Sea Island early in the morning for our Seaspray Sailing Adventure. This sailing trip would take us through the Mamanuca Islands. We visited a remote Fijian village, school, and market, experienced a Kava Ceremony where we drank kava, a drink that induces "Fiji Time" and numbs your tongue and lips, ate a BBQ lunch on the boat, and explored and snorkeled around the island where the Tom Hanks movie Castaway was filmed.  This was one of my favorite days. 

I grew slightly nervous when I woke up in the morning and couldn't find my luggage keys. My bags were locked but I had no way to open them! Since it was the last day, I thought I could try to make do with the clothes and toiletries I had until I returned home to ChCh (where I left the spare key). However, I needed our sailing vouchers and passports out if my bag to leave the country, so I had no choice but to break the lock. A nice Fiji man brought us a saw that we used to snap the lock.  In the picture above, Mallary is trying to pick the lock with a bobby pin, before we sawed it off. 
The good news is that my luggage keys were sitting right on top of all my clothes and all of our passports when we finally got it open!

This is the sailboat we boarded on our tour. 


My first glass of Champagne. All drinks, sodas, water, and food was free and buffet style! What a treat!


Sitting on the bow of the ship. 

Sitting on the bow of the ship.

At Castaway Island.

This is the chief of the village who is preparing the kava for us to drink. It is made from the root of a peppermint tree and mixed in water. It looks like muddy water and tastes like a dirty sock, but gives a nice relaxing sensation. We all had to remove our shoes before entering the ceremony and drink our whole portion, which was served to us one-by-one by the chief in a halved coconut. After we each finished our drink, everyone clapped once (as is tradition).

Drinking kava. 

After the ceremony, we walked through the village talking to the people and browsing the market. I can't believe I left my wallet back at the boat! Luckily for me, Mallary lent me some money. Thank goodness!

A few children who were at school paused to greet us and take a picture.

At the kava ceremony.

Paradise! Under a thatched hut and beside a palm tree! 


The Fijian boat crew were quite entertaining and friendly. They sang many songs on their guitars, mandolins, and ukuleles the whole time we sailed. My favorite song was "When the Saints go Marching In".  


Evan made sure I didn't miss a thing. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This student teaching looks tough.